Am I petty for refusing to forgive MIL?

I'm a first-time mom with a baby girl who just turned 1. MIL is relatively well-intentioned but gives tone deaf advice and can't read the room. When I was pregnant, I had most of the symptoms morning sickness, exhaustion, backaches, swollen hands/feet, etc. MIL had none of these during all of her pregnancies but still thought it apt to give a little "wisdom" During my first trimester, my morning sickness was in full swing. Most foods smelled disgusting. All my favourite things were no longer palatable and made me gag. I ate but barely. MIL didn't bother understanding me. She insisted I eat whatever was available at home. When my belly was bigger and heavier, I started to get really bad backaches. MIL gave me her cushion cover filled with "medical-grade magnets," saying it would help if I rested on it. She believes in alternative healing and thinks modern medicine is a scam, btw. Idk how she expected magnets to relieve the pulls of a growing belly... Towards the end of my pregnancy, my hands and feet were swollen. MIL thought something was wrong, so she recited holy prayers over a jug of water and asked me to wipe my hands and feet with it. 🥴 The postpartum period is when she really got on my nerves. I struggled with getting my baby to latch on for breastfeeding. MIL gave her children formula so she has no knowledge on BF. The day after I got home from the hospital, I couldn't get my daughter to latch, and she was crying so loud. MIL taught it was a good time to give some motherly advice. My breasts were exposed, mind you, and with a wailing baby in my arms. She told me motherhood was all about being patient, which was funny because she was testing my patience. And when she took a look at my daughter struggling to latch, she laughed and commented on my daughter's inability to suckle. It was bad that I was extremely hormonal and emotional. MIL just had to come in the room and do all that. She crossed a lot of my boundaries during the rest of my confinement period. I didn't want to do the confinement diet btw because I don't believe in it. She insisted. Insisted I don't drink water either. Don't drink water then how to be hydrated enough to BF? My husband wasn't much help when I told him my feelings. Just said what to do? She's like that. 🙂 Anyway, daughter is already 1 but I'm still holding a grudge towards MIL. I feel like she made my experience miserable.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If you ask me, I personally think I don’t have to accept anyone as long as I don’t feel comfortable, be it family or not. On the other hand, i won’t restrict baby’s contact with mil if she treats baby well because that is a different relationship from mine & mil’s. The thing about elderly is they just shoot whatever is in their mind without filtering (same as my mil). I was once in your position, hating my mil, moving out etc. Eventually, learning to let go is also relieving yourself. You don’t have to give in, don’t have to force yourself to accept her till you’re comfortable (it can takes days to years). Only thing I agree with your mil is you have to drink enough water to bf.

Read more

No?? I hate my MIL. After giving birth whenever she comes over after i failed to stop her, i will drink 2 cans of beer to get abit high first 😅😅😅 then can fight her with more courage lmao

Mama's choice special 5.5 Ada voucher diskon 100% bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek >>> https://shope.ee/5V98daM1Fh . (5237519)

Influencer của TAP

😔