Safe medication for cough & phlegm

Im currently in 2nd trim. And have been coughing badly with phlegm for more than a week, including runny nose with alot of mucus. Other than going to GP, anyone knows any medicine that i can consume that is safe for pregnancy? #firstpreganancy

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Thành viên VIP

I usually go to the GP but they are cautious with dispensing drugs for pregnant patients. I had three bouts of influenza during my second and third trimester which lasted for three over weeks each time and generally just given paracetamol for pains or fever. No drugs were given for runny nose/phlegm/cough. I did go to the polyclinic and was given cough medication but even so I realized that there are some drugs which weren't appropriate when I checked on UpToDate, a platform some pharmacies in SG uses to check for drug safety and interactions. Anyways a general guideline would be no first generation antihistamines for itch/runny nose aka the drowsy ones. Nothing is appropriate for phlegm not the usual bromhexine or acetylcysteine. And a whole long list of cough meds are a no no especially the drowsy types. Do check with a GP regardless or when you go for the regular check ups with your gynae they usually prescribe antibiotics depending on how long or how bad the cough is. I ended up in isolation close to delivery from fever and influenza so dont try to self medicate! Might make things worse 😭

Read more
12mo trước

hello, you mentioned first gen antihistamines are a no? strange that my Dr prescribed it to me and a Google search reveals it's ok.. confused

You should go see a GP. Or talk to your gynae during your next checkup. Only doctors can prescribe pregnancy safe meds for you. If you go to any pharmacies (Watsons/ guardian) they will not dispense any meds for pregnant women over the counter without a dr’s prescription.

I informed the doctor at KK during my routine check up and she prescribed me with cough syrups which she says is milder than normal to take care of the pregnancy. However the medicine seems to work. She says can also see the usual GP just inform them you are pregnant.

My doctor prescribed this for my cough but for phlegm & runny nose i think you have to get it prescribed by a doctor.

Post reply image
Influencer của TAP

best to visit a GP, or try the pharmacist