Husband asked me to eat chicken

I’m 8 months pregnant now and am on HL currently. Gynae mentioned to me to eat more protein and to eat more as baby requires it after she checked the measurements. As I’m home right now, grocery expenses increased as I bought more nutritious food for myself eg avocado, fish, veg. It was roughly $600-$700 per month and now I have stayed home for a week and have used around $200 on groceries for this week. (Helper, me and one child are at home for lunch and dinner). My husband was shocked to hear that I spent $200 already for a week and was concerned about the way I spent the money to eat. But to me, I thought that it was the last month for me to take care of my body and baby before baby pops next month. The only difference for the expenses going up is me, a pregnant mum staying at home for lunch and eating more meat and vegetables than previous. My husband then suggested me to just eat chicken or find other ways to stay within budget. But do I really need to do that? I have not been eating well for all the previous months and this is the only month I get to stay home and just really nourish myself and my husband is asking me to control the expenses. My food is all home cooked, I only eat sardines more frequent as my sardines are high in calcium and salmon once every week. Shouldn’t husband pamper the wife more at this period of time? It’s only the last month to go.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Try to explain to husband that you are eating well so baby and you are healthier and stronger when born. Tell him that money next time can earn back. Healthy body have to maintain, if fall sick need take MC and need spend more on medications, its even worse that way. If really financial wise is very tight, find more economical food to eat that is equally nutricious for the family. For me, i ate at least 2 eggs during my pregnancy everyday, its cheap and good. Then i also eat wholemeal bread, some cheese. Sometimes i eat green bean red bean soup. I also eat chickpeas. Oranges/pineapples/kiwi for vitamin C. I also ate sardines and other types of fishes. I hope your husband understands that the groceries is spent on the whole family, including 1adult helper. Eat outside for 1 adult not cheap also. Food don't cut down, but maybe those soap and shampoos have to cut down alrdy. Goodluck and stay happy, wish you the best :)

Read more

To be fair, you could have eaten well since the beginning. He may be at shock to see a spike in the expenses. I would justify my spending to make my case. Protein can come from a more affordable source too, like tofu, eggs and yes, chicken. You can try to make a list to explain that the $ is also spend on the other family members. Calculate and tell him roughly how much is a meal for everyone in a day. Yes, it is the last month to go, but when baby’s out, there will be even more living expenses. He might be feeling the stress right now. Have a good talk when the time is right. Both of you are not wrong.

Read more

Honestly I would be annoyed at my husband if he tries to restrict my spending on nutritious food, especially at this last stretch of the pregnancy. However, if there is really a concern due to your household income then perhaps you guys can discuss over how to strike a good balance ? #hugs

Influencer của TAP

if able to afford would be for the best 💕