I want to try normal delivery with epidural but I just saw the epidural needle is very thick and long. This is my 1st pregnancy and I am already having mental breakdown due to contraction & labour pains. I had nightmares everynight and cannot sleep from 2am to 6am daily! So seeing this thick needle makes me even more stressed and scary now. I am really scared of pain extremely. How do they administer into the spinal or epidural space? Is it going to be very painful when they insert into the spine? Any anesthesia to numb the spine area prior insertion of the epidural needle?

49 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I had an epidural last week at Thomson medical. First of all they give you a local anaesthetic to numb the area of your back, this is like a normal injection and is over quickly. Then they give you the epidural, so you can't really feel it. It's a soft/flexible wire that's inserted and remains in your back through labour, the nurses can turn the drugs strength up or down as needed. You can lay back and you don't feel the wire. After that, you can see on the monitor that your are having contractions, but you can't feel them! Don't worry, you will do great!

Read more