I want to try normal delivery with epidural but I just saw the epidural needle is very thick and long. This is my 1st pregnancy and I am already having mental breakdown due to contraction & labour pains. I had nightmares everynight and cannot sleep from 2am to 6am daily! So seeing this thick needle makes me even more stressed and scary now. I am really scared of pain extremely. How do they administer into the spinal or epidural space? Is it going to be very painful when they insert into the spine? Any anesthesia to numb the spine area prior insertion of the epidural needle?

49 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mom

The doctor will inject a local anaesthetic agent with a very small needle to numb the area before he inserts the big needle for the epidural, so don't worry:) also, if you want, you can already be using the laughing gas to help with your contraction pain and while the doctor is doing the epidural for you, so that you also feel less pain:)

Read more

I started to type out the procedures but then I found this animation on youtube detailing how an epidural is administered which might answer all your questions. And yes, I was told that there will be a local anaesthesia administered to numb the area where the bigger needle will be at. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eaFn8GmY_0

Read more
Thành viên VIP

dont look. just remember after the epi you will experience less pain. i also scared of needles. so i opted for non epi. nurse gave me laughing gas mask but didnt turn on the gas.😕 pain die.😅 but when baby come out it will all be worth while. just focus on: you are going to deliver a cute baby! you can do it!

Read more

Have you studied the pros and cons of taking epidural? Are you opened to suggestion of natural pain relief options which are healthier for both you and your baby? If you are opened to explore your options, here is the link for you. http://www.bellybelly.com.au/birth/natural-pain-relief-for-labour/

I had two c-sections and had the epidural. They use a smaller needle to numb the area first before using the bigger needle. Yes, it is uncomfortable, but it's not unbearable. I don't remember it "hurting", just the discomfort of having to crouch over. It'll all be over soon. Good luck, mummy!

Thành viên VIP

Don’t worry too much. Just let nature takes its course. I’m thinking of a epidural free labour as I’ve read up a lot on the long term side effects. However my pain tolerance is probably 2-3/10. But I shall see how on the labour day itself😂 no point stressing out so much now

I was afraid too but epidural is God sent. 😍 labour pain was too excruciating for me to even think of the needle! It wasn't painful when inserted into the spine probably cus I only took it when I'm already 6cm dilated. Would have asked for it earlier!

Don’t worry too much mama-to-be. You are stronger than you think. Looking at those stories or photos is going to make it scarier so just enjoy the process of being pregnant now. When you are having contractions you might just ask for the epidural lol

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-15717)

Super Mom

I had natural delivery with epidural. They will numb my back before they insert the needle. I can’t feel the needle because the numbness has set in. Don’t Google too much as it will make things scarier for u