I am a first time mum, my pain tolerance is super super low to the extent when drawing blood I feel pain for the insertion or injection by requesting & using the smallest diameter needle. Docs and nurses often teased me for being such a baby. Recently I started to have a lot of phobias for delivery pain. Initially I was very worried but now I am having a freak out even I have scary dreams about the painful labour process lately. Now I am really constantly thinking of the pain that a pregnant mum (referring myself) that I have to endure and go through in future. I told my mum and mother in law about my serious fears regarding the pain. Mother in law told me the pain is not the dilation or tear in vagina, the real pains are the contractions throughout the 10hours+ duration. Is this true? Or the pains are when the baby is coming out of the vagina? I am so scared mummies! Pls help me. Pls tell me what to do because I am really extremely scared of the pain. I don't know where exactly the pain comes from and how to overcome them? Should I just go for C-sect to end the painful process for someone like me who is so afraid of pain? But I wanted a faster recovery so thinking of going for vaginal delivery with epidural. I heard epidural is a pain reducer, not a pain reliever. And I am very worried I am going to suffer prenatal depression right now. How or what should I do to seek mental consultation to relieve my tremendous fears for pain?

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As a first time mum, I was like you.. even when drawing blood, I cried. I cried when I was force to go to Delivery Suite after my appointment. I cried when they say that they are going to induce me even when I declined. Take epidural. But only if you have started feeling painful contractions. i had my first epidural for #2 and I did not have any painful contractions despite being 5cm dilated. and because the needle is so big and long, my fear took over me. and the epidural insertion was more scary and painful than pushing. For #3, I only had epidural after enduring 11 hours of painul contractions, and it was the best thing ever. Stopped all the pain till it was time to push. & the reason why I said to take epidural is that, to me the worst pain was from stitching up down there after vaginal delivery. For #1, I did not take epidural. People told me once baby is out, no more pain. But I was wrong. The stitching up part was insane! I could feel the needle going in and out. Thus for #2 and #3, with epidural, I didnt feel a thing during stitching and I recovered very fast due to that. However, note that epidural have some side effects. I always run a fever after delivery due to epidural and I shiver excessively but I try to control myself. Some vomit throughout labour. Remember to weat thick long socks and also to keep moving your toes and legs even when your legs are numb from epidural. Get your partner to massage your feet and legs. Hope this helps.

Read more

It will be pain no matter what u choose. U can opt for vaginal with epidural as the effects of epidural can last quite long and hopefully till the end of the whole labor process. But generally u have contraction discomfort - not really the pain pain but discomfort for a while before u wana ask for epidural in case u long labor. But vaginal births is complex and anything can happen so u might still end up c-sect after trying to push for a long time. If u are fearful of the delivery it will only make ur worst nightmare come true because mentally u alrdy cannot make it - when face w the real thing - u will over-react and it will just be a even worse experience Go for c sect. Epidural. V fast go in and very fast come out. After that can just request for stronger pain killers and take during the first few days. So much easier. Recovery time is longer but it's not as tho u are intending to train for a marathon and u have ur maternity leave too right? Just slowly recover lor I did c sect caz I am high risk. My friend is vaginal

Read more

Well for the opposite my pin tolerance is super high! I felt 0 pain and had 0 contractions totally not like those scene I saw in movies and dramas! No screaming no sweat no pain no dramatic experience! I had NO contractions at all not even period cramps kind of cramps (I’ll literally curl into a ball even with my pain tolerance being super high) but when my baby was about to POP GIRLLLL let me tell you not everyone is the same but dont think think soooo much into it!!!!!!!!! Just stay calm! I didn’t take epidural I didn’t do anything I just lie on the bed use my phone play game in labour ward for 1.5 hour and I felt the urge to push and I pushed! I admitted at 4:30am baby came out 6:30! I push less than 10 mins no pain at all! After this I told myself what I see on tv is all extra dramatic🙄🙄 it’s literally not as painful as you’re expecting!

Read more

Jts. I have low pain threshold too. In fact the hospital staff all know. Just an injection, I'll cry. But what I know is this. I didn't take epidural. Cos I was bent not taking knowing its side effects. So I kept on talking to my child saying, u must come fast as mummy cannot tahan pain. And it worked. I had very short labour. Only 3.5 hours. Only took the thigh jab. And no your contractions is similar to when you are constipated and want to poop. Yup. That's how it is. So relax mummy. Talk to your baby more. Walk and exercise few days before labour. Even if you need to induce. I was dancing and walking and running in my room after being induced. And to say, I had an easy labour. Of course during my active labour, I was screaming. But at the end, the joy of seeing your baby, ah that what makes it worth it. So mummy. Calm down and relax.

Read more

Childbirth is not always painful. Some women do not experience pain at all but tightening sensation or pressure. When you are not fearful of labour but comfortably relaxed, you will be able to enjoy your labour and birth process, welcome your baby into this world in a gentle and healthy way. Both taking epidural to numb your senses or cesarean section are not healthy for both you and your baby. The side effect is a long list. You can consider taking the right childbirth classes, learn to prepare both your mind and your body for labour and birth. Deep relaxation is the key to a successful natural childbirth not your pain threshold level or pain relief drugs. This was a first time mother who didn't feel pain for her birth. http://childbirthodyssey.com/hypnobirthing/stephanie-first-birth/

Read more
Thành viên VIP

hello! stay calm dear! I had 3 natural birth without epidural, the pain is like menses cramps at the starts then slowly it gets more intense cramps after cervix dilate 5cm onwards. I took laughing gas though, its fun to me, I keep inhaling it to divert the pains attention for short while only. as for giving birth part, it's exactly same feeling as you're shitting, you won't feel any pains when they cut your cervix, you'll only feel that you want to " poop " . As for the stitching part, they'll inject to numb that area before starts stitching, no pains as well just that you can feel your skin being pull lol. I strongly believe every mummy are afraid of the pains, so you're not alone! if you can't handle the " cramps " then just go with epidural.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

The pain is more from the contractions than anything else. When giving birth, you'll be so focused on the contraction pains that you can't even think about anything else. When the baby is ready to come out, you will naturally have the urge to push...a bit like passing motion. Your gynae will probably inject the area to numb it before making the episiotomy snip and sewing it up. You won't feel the pain from the wound except the pull of the thread when he/she is stitching you up. You only feel the soreness later when everything is done. If you can't tahan the contraction pains, there's always pain relief options like laughing gas, pithidine jab and epidural. But do note that there are pros and cons of each and it differs from person to person.

Read more

Hi, I understand your fears especially for a first time mummy. Honestly, there will be pain as you will feel contraction pain before making your way to the hospital. Request for epidural from your gynae. Epidural is to ensure that you can relax when you are pushing your baby out. Without relaxing, you wont dilate faster. You wont feel any pain when you have epidural but for me, though I am afraid of pain, I requested for not so much epidural coz I want to feel the labour pain for me to know when to push. Dont worry, a friend of mine, screamed when her gynae checked her dilation or during pap smear. And now, she is a mother of 2. You can do it too.

Read more
8y trước

hi dear, will not feel pain at any point in time during the delivery including the pushing and stitching if u r on epi. when the epi wears off after delivery will start to feel sore but the nurses will prescribe pain killers. request for epi early when u feel the contractions. early contraction is not really painful feels like mild menstrual cramps ?

Hi there, childbirth is painful. Whether or not you give birth vaginally or through c section, there will aspects of it that will be painful -- be it the contractions, the birth or the recovery. The more you fear the pain, the more it will hurt. Don't fear it. Mind over matter. A friend of mine gave birth with no drugs and she prepared herself by attending meditating classes. Maybe you can do the same? Also, it could help to talk to a new mom who's about your age and share your fears with her. Talking to someone close to your age might be easier than an older person who might at times be quite ominous when describing their experiences.

Read more
8y trước

What are these meditating classes known as???

Thành viên VIP

Hi i m same as you. I even feel afraid of drawing blood or injection etc. But on the day of delivering my brain cant think of pain but the safety of deliver a baby ! So i went for csec with epidural. End up endure abit but once epidural inject. i m totally numb and feel nothing and second day wake up i can force myself to stand up and walk around and bath with mild pain but endurable . Once you see your baby all pain gone. I m a person with 0 tolerance of pain . Sometime its not as scary as we think

Read more
8y trước

Hi can I ask why you went for C-sect??? Isit bcoz your baby is in breech position or you just want C-sect as a decision??? I am thinking of C-sect too but I am scared of the wound pain!!!! And may I know is there any excruciating pains at the wound after the anesthesia or epidural effect wears off???? Thanks!!!