I want to try normal delivery with epidural but I just saw the epidural needle is very thick and long. This is my 1st pregnancy and I am already having mental breakdown due to contraction & labour pains. I had nightmares everynight and cannot sleep from 2am to 6am daily! So seeing this thick needle makes me even more stressed and scary now. I am really scared of pain extremely. How do they administer into the spinal or epidural space? Is it going to be very painful when they insert into the spine? Any anesthesia to numb the spine area prior insertion of the epidural needle?

49 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm afraid of long needles too and never did wanted an epidural. But, when the contractions were bad, instinct told me that I needed pain relief. I did not see the needle or the anaesthetist nor did I care about the procedure. The only pain I felt was the contraction caused by the induction drip. I was so relieved and relaxed after the epidural. I was able to hold my baby and really enjoy the happiness that comes with a new family. Have a safe delivery.

Read more
8y trước

Hi what's an induction drip??? And may I know if the epidural effect is lasting to help throughout the pushing of baby (I meant the entire delivery process)???? FYI, I don't know if it's very pain for the epidural needle to be inserted??? Was there any anesthesia to numb the spine first????