I am part of a mummy group on WA. And all the mummy do all day is talk about what new things they have bought or signed up their kids for. They talk about buying 2-3 breast pumps, high tea at various hotels, the best tula carriers to buy, sending their kids for swimming etc. I really feel my heart pain when I see what they can offer their kids and what I cannot. Any other mummy feel this way also?

53 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There are many points to note in your comment. 1. What was mentioned were all material possessions. Are those the only things one can offer the kids? There are lots of immaterial stuff that kids will adore. 2. Financial management. What makes you think that everyone is offering the full suite of items without paying through their noses. Everyone only shows their expense accounts, but no one ever declares their income level nor bank balances. It is important to spend within your means and think of what you can offer your child within your budget. It's only with financial independence can you not be a burden to your child in future. 3. What one offers to the child is not equivalent to what a child needs. No child will say that they wish to have the best tula carrier, best swimming coach, etc. All they need is an immense dose of love and tender loving care from their parents. The enrichment lessons are good exposure but it's not necessary to be able to afford them all. Don't beat yourself too hard on it Mummy. Perhaps you can focus instead on what you can offer your child. Jia you!

Read more