I look at other dads and I feel inadequate. I

I look at other dads and I feel inadequate. I lost my job 3 months ago, and my baby just came last month. We are depending on my wife's income right now. I hate being a stay at home dad, but what else can I do? Please suggest things I can do (while applying for jobs) to get my mind off the entrapment I feel.

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Forget the gender roles in this situation and focus on the positives and the blessings you have in life - your family. Yes, maybe you have lost your job but think of it as a temporary break and a chance to bond with your child. If you don't like the term "stay home dad" then rethink your position -- you are now the primary nurturer of your child, the emotional centre of your family and most importantly, you are a father. Dads who stay at home to raise their children (be it temporarily or permanently) are very common around the world, even though it is still not something celebrated in this part of the world just yet. In Scandinavia for example, dads take a year off work or simply work from home so that they can raise their children. Don't be too disheartened, you are doing a great service for your child now, one he will be grateful for in the future I'm sure :) Hang in there!

Read more