I just found out that the baby I am carrying has high risk of Down syndrome. My Husband wants to keep it. I don't. I don't think I will be able to cope and I am very horrified and ashamed that I might have done something in this pregnancy to cause this. I don't know what I did wrong. I never drank a sip of alcohol. I quit my job and take care of myself very well in this pregnancy. What should I do.

34 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Have you done amniocentesis? If you have not, you may want to do so. Amniocentesis is accurate. One of my twins was diagnosed with DS and with a heart problem. Like you, I was lost and blamed myself for bad genes. My hubby did not want to keep the baby diagnosed with DS, as he feels that the baby will suffer when growing up. I agreed with my hubby but as a mother, I tried to convince myself that we will be able to cope and give our baby a normal life. We seeked a second opinion from another gynae. We discussed with him and he gave us his honest views. Some parents also shared their real life experiences. After much thoughts and reading, we decided to do selective termination. Please discuss with your hubby. Have to think practically whether you and your hubby are able to cope mentally and financially. No matter what decision you and your hubby make, it is for the best of your baby. And you gotta make sure you can live with the decision you make for the rest of your life. Best wishes on whatever you decide.

Read more