I just found out that the baby I am carrying has high risk of Down syndrome. My Husband wants to keep it. I don't. I don't think I will be able to cope and I am very horrified and ashamed that I might have done something in this pregnancy to cause this. I don't know what I did wrong. I never drank a sip of alcohol. I quit my job and take care of myself very well in this pregnancy. What should I do.

34 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Thành viên VIP

If u dont want to keep it, then dont. It's ur pregnancy and ur mental health. Nobody can force u to go thru something that u dont want to. Dont blame urself for anything because its not within your control. All the best and stay strong!

This is indeed a stressful situation...pls discuss with ur gyne n seek for 2nd opinion. Also, to be fair to both parties, do reach a consensus...both to face it tgt no matter what or support the decision and move on tgt....

hi mummy, I was also carrying a high risk DS, ratio 1:5 according to the NT scan. doctor advised that I go for the amniocentesis test for 100% accuracy. turns out my baby is perfectly normal. he is now 4 mths old. stay strong.

Get another opinion... I will not keep the baby too if the risk is high but I will need to be triple suree before I decide. My hubby shared the same view. Think need to talk to hubby so that both are agreeable on the decision

I have friends who had false positive result as well and went for the amnio test for 100% accuracy. You may opt for that and see if your result could be false positive. Goodluck mummy!!!

If your baby is less than 4 months old, you can terminate your pregnancy. 4 months and above he/she is already a human being, you should not kill him/her anymore.

4y trước

To be honest, you both have to decide if you are going to be physically, mentally and financially prepared to go through this. It’s a very long term commitment so if you don’t have either one of what I mentioned, no point keeping. Yes, some people think it’s wrong to go for abortion but if you really have no choice, can’t be helped. Rather than you both and the child suffer together. It’s going to be extremely costly to get people to care for him 24/7 for so many years. Can you both afford it? Worst thing is if you both are already not very financially strong and yet one of you has to give up your job to support your child full time, I doubt you both can make it. The cost of living is way too high here even for normal people, let alone if one has Down syndrome. It’s better to let your child be in a better place with God. Just my own opinion. PS: I’m not in favour of abortion but if there’s really no choice, I rather do it than to let the child have such an unhappy life here and sufferi

Don't be disheartened. High risk doesn't mean that it is 100%. Perhaps you might want to go for a more invasive test to confirm the result ?

Thành viên VIP

What is your ratio? And what test have you done? Coz if its just NT, please don't be dishearthen. It's high risk, not a confirmed case. Do seek second opinion.

Thành viên VIP

Oh, sis. Tight hugs to you. I wouldn't know what to do if I were in your position, but I pray that you find peace in whatever you and husband decide to do.

Big hugs mummy. I really dont know what to say but I hope you feel better and will be able to be at peace. My blessings and prayers are with you. Jiayou