Night feeding

Hi, first time mummy here so I am still learning as I go. Understand that different babies behaves differently. Recently went for my 1 year old check up and doctor said it is not normal that my 1 year old still requite night feeding. He suggested that I give my son late dinner so that he can sleep longer at night. However, my son eats small frequent meals. I tried to extend his night feeds by 1 hour (from 4 hour to 5 hour interval) but realises that he started crying because he is hungry and has problems going back to sleep. So can I check if any mummies who have babies above 12 months that still need 1-2 night feedings ? Say after 4-5 hours. Was taken aback by the doctor comment but I find that my baby sleeps well when I feed him at night. He will usually start to move alot and give small cries whenever he wants milk. Any advise or comments welcome! #nightfeed #firsttime_mommy

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My LO is 18mo, doesnt attends school so her sleep timing is anywhere from 12-3am. I will feed her the last milk once I see she’s gonna sleep. Works well, sleeps all the way till 9/11/1pm before next milk. My LO does not take standard 3 meals and most of the times just milk diet and snacks through out. (She still doesn’t take 1 full solid a day) I will give her a few mouthful of what I eat during my meals. I tried offering solids but she is not taking it well so I just forget it, milk it shall be then.

Read more

dont worry.. my 3rd baby is 2 years old and still ask for milk in the middle of the night sometimes twice. she will got back to sleep after finishing her milk. sometimes she asked for water too. i dont send her to school cos im not working. so im sure its normal. I'll give milk on demand dont have any schedule or anything. as long as baby is well and healthy i dont think its a problem for the child wants milk in the middle of the night. dont worry mummy you're doing great.

Read more
11mo trước

congrats to you too!!

Post reply image

Hmm try feeding more solids in the day? For my 14 month old, we gave her more milk before she sleeps around 10 plus and on good days she can sleep till 8plus in the morning. Occasionally woke up in d middle of the night for milk but think it’s ok.

some babies have higher milk needs. suggest you follow what your baby needs rather than listen to generic advice from doctor because you know him best. i’m still giving my 18m old a milk feed at 11pm otherwise he will cry in the middle of the night.

11mo trước

yea agreed, as long as the baby sleep well and not cry I think night feeding shd be normal. maybe when my baby have more teeth and able to eat more can he then last longer thru the night. We'll see:) thanks for the input!

Thành viên VIP

My 13mths old will wake up once or twice per night for milk.. she’s eating well but is forever thirsty.