Pre term baby weight gain

Hi everyone, just gave birth to a preterm baby at 34 wks and her birth weight is abit low at 1.8kg. PD says will need to keep her in hospital until she hits 2kg but she seems to be slow in weight gain. Are there any mummies out there who have similar experience to share? How long was your baby in the nursery for? TIA!

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mom

Hi my baby was also kept in hospital because her weight was below 2kg too. Are you breastfeeding and is your supply OK? For small babies I think you should supplement with formula, we used Similac Neosure which is specifically for low birth weight preterm babies. If you're breastfeeding, you can latch baby as much as possible and also pump out some milk to improve supply. There's this thing called "human milk fortifier" - hospital pharmacies most likely have it - which you add to your pumped milk and then feed baby. Those things really helped my baby gain weight fast and now she's on the chubby side. Let me know if you have any more question I'd be very glad to help! 🤗

Read more
4y trước

I only supplemented with formula for the first 2 weeks because after that I was able to breastfeed exclusively. If you continue to give formula I guess you can follow PD's advice, I don't have a preferred formula brand :)

Thành viên VIP

Try to power pump to improve your supply, id power pumped every 3 hourly for at least 15 mins. Then can pass to the nurses at nicu to feed bb

4y trước

Thats a good idea, will try it out :)