Infant care vs Helper

Hello everyone. FTM here. Currently we are early in the pregnancy, however would like to slowly start planning for when baby is here. We are both working and are torn between infant care and getting a helper. I understand infant care can be costly too and if baby is unwell we need to take CL. Plus getting a slot can be difficult. However having a helper has its own challenges too. Trusting them, training etc. Grandparents is not an option as they are all still working. What do you think? Please share your own experiences if possible. Truly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My first born is 2.5 years old now. My husband and I handled him by ourselves. We sent him to IFC at 3.5 mths. Altho the period when he fell sick can be challenging and stress but I tink it’s not that bad compared to having helper cos it also depends on luck to get a good helper. My EDD for 2nd kid is on 28 Jun 2023. We hired a helper since Dec 2022. Fortunately this helper is quite good and able to take care of my first born when he fell sick by herself but of cos there were flaws initially such as staying in the room to use hp when my son was sick just cos I was at home. I’m planning to send 2nd kid to IFC at ard 3 mths as well even with helper ard because sch will be able to teach them stuff. In IFC, when they are young, teachers make them do tummy time, train eyes and hands coordination, when bigger they will also make handicraft etc. For 1 kid, I would think sending to IFC is better. Working mom can get more subsidy too.

Read more

My toddler has been going to ifc since she was 2 months. She’s 18 months now and we have never engaged a helper nor do we have any help since in laws don’t fancy my child and my family mostly are still working. It has been a roller coaster ride tbh. I’ve switched jobs twice when she was 2 months till now 18 months bcos getting leave has been difficult. Recently, a friend of mine introduces me to a babysitter from nannySOS online and we’ve engaged the same person quite a few times! Honestly a lot more cheaper and I only use her when my LO is unwell! We didn’t engage a helper since I’m not ready to give up one room but bright side, we found great help!

Read more

My husband and I decided on helper because we would greatly appreciate the round-the-clock support. I’ve personally grown up with a helper around and seen how that helps my parents and our family. There will be a lot to be done at home and having an extra pair of hands is just going to relieve a lot more stress from my husband and I. I believe it depends if you need that round the clock support at home, or just an arrangement for your baby to be cared for while you’re at work.

Read more

Based on personal experience, I would recommend a full time helper. If trained properly, they can be of great help with the baby plus trust is something that is developed gradually. Try to get a helper with prior newborn experience and ask them questions during interview. I did this and I am really happy with my helper. She does house work as well as take care of baby!

Read more

ifc. send my baby when he was 4mths old and I went back to work. when baby is sick would need to either wfh or take leave. they do fall sick quite easily at the start but slowly as they get bigger and start build their immunity then things will get better. I felt that my baby development is quite fast and is glad that we made the right choice to send him to sch.

Read more

Prefer sending to ifc actually. My first one we send her around 5mths coz there isnt any slots. Tbh i dun hv anyone who can help me. My in laws also cannot, own parent is not so mobile.

IFC, i was hesitant initially as a working mom with no help, but now my boy is 18 months and he really enjoyed and learn alot in IFC with great teachers and friends.

helper. train properly and they can do housework when baby sleeping. just be careful when you choose the suitable one. don't rush. my opinion