Feeding aversion

Hi, my daughter is 3.5 months old and formula-fed. She has a feeding aversion and cries badly the moment she is placed in the feeding position. She has reflux, which has probably contributed to this situation. Also, due to our lack of knowledge earlier on, we tried to force feed as she was drinking so little :( Anyone has any suggestions? So far, we try small frequent feeds to address the reflux. We are trying to show her that feeding can be a positive experience too. Anyone been through this?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Thành viên VIP

Oh no! I suspect baby might have developed the aversion after force fed. But it could be baby anticipate the pain of reflux because made the connection feeding is pain from acid. How is the feeding position like anyway? At the 3 month mark, my baby had horrible reflux too so a huge drop in feeding + distended tummy + vomitting after every feed + sleepless and crying painfully. What i learnt was reflux in babies usually is due to the immature development of the lower oesophageal sphincter so acid goes back up very easily, can cause cough and sore throat and bad breath too! But our Paediatrician highlights that panic when baby is not gaining weight from lack of feeding, excessive vomitting, limp then need to escalate to A&E. We rode it out for around 3 weeks until feeding got better then eventually one puke a week, once a month and tadaa all settled. I used to elevate baby by 15° when feeding or resting. During feeding also we try reduced amounts but but we breastfeed so cannot see the volume proper. Sometimes if use reheated milk in bottle but sometimes cool milk see what baby can consume abit of trial and error with the amounts too. Even so still alot of puking and crying all the time 😔 But honestly its alot of hugging, rocking, humming, kisses and talking to baby because we dont understand their pain. Must be really scary for them. If it worries u too much please go to ur baby doctor to check if its anything else like GERD? But we really talk and coo with baby like show empathy n understanding which calms baby down sometimes.

Read more

Hi mummy, can share tips on how you get through it?

I also want to know about this.