Maternity leave

Just broke off the news to my employer about my pregnancy and she suggest to take only 3 months of maternity leave and the remaining 1 month take the next year by breaking it to different days for baby check up etc. Is ot okay for her to come out with such an idea? Do I need to report to MOM? #1stimemom

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mom

if you check the maternity leave guide on MOM website the last 4 or 8 weeks are flexible, ie you can take it over a year. so it's up to you whether you want to take the whole 4 months in one go or break it up as your employer has suggested. honestly with baby's vaccinations and what not, 6days childcare leavr may not be enough. so breaking up your maternity leave may help

Read more

i think ur employer is just thinking for you, to give you such flexibility because you really do need alot of time off to bring baby for check ups and vaccinations etc, unless you want to utilise your own annual leave. Also, you mentioned, she suggested, she didnt forced you to. I am glad you dont work for me!

Read more

I am doing this. my ex boss taught me. 3 months Maternity leave and left 1 month to use on and off. if baby sick u will need to take leave. both my first and second baby is doing this way. I remember I saw MOM web have stated this. u can check again. I think she might be thinking for you.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong. In fact I feel that she is very considerate for u. So u won’t use up all your maternity leave and need to take unpaid leave in the future. You won’t know upcoming how many trips you need to bring baby for check up, injections, etc.

Is ok. Don’t worry. Most companies offer this flexibility to mom. So the last month of maternity leave we can spread out and clear within the year like taking it for baby vaccine or last min urgent matters. Instead of using ur own leave.

yea it's ok. it depends on HR policies. usually the first month of ML is compulsory. thereafter, the employee have the freedone to choose how she wants to spend her ML. some may take alternate weeks off etc.

Thành viên VIP

Yes. Some mums actually prefer to do this as after the baby is born, there will be several appts that you need to attend to and child care leave is not enough to cover all those days.

Some do this, some do one short. I had a co teacher before broke her ML to 2 mons 2 mons. :) depends on what you discuss with the supervisor

Yes. I do like that too but w/o my employer telling me so. Saves my leaves which can be use for more urgent use.

my boss preferred me to take everything at one go, rather than breaking it