Why is it that no matter how much you try to love your MIL, nothing is ever good enough? She is always very distant. How can I bond with her? Any suggestions?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Well! They told the way to a man's heart (which was not required as they anyway we would have found) but forgot to tell the way to MIL's heart. Hence, it remains a mystery, as we don't know whether there is actually a way or not. :) Anyway, if you still feel like trying, then cook her favourite dishes, might help. But, one thing, I am sure all MIL's like is, pretending to be an amateur in front of her. Make her feel that she knows the best and you want to learn from her. Make her feel important. If she is this stubborn as you mentioned, straight talk may not impress her at all, and she may think you to be authoritative. So, be this coy, gentle girl who is ready to follow commands, rather loves her commands. If you are able to this little bit, I think your MIL 's heart should melt. :)

Read more

Make her feel important and needed. Ask her all there is to know about her son like his favourite meals, his childhood stories and how to "take care" of him when he is not at his best. I understand the feeling though, trying so hard to get through to people and after years of trying, nothing has improved. But at least I know I've tried and if it remains the same, it remains the same. I won't stop respecting her or caring any less, just that I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Read more

That is a difficult ask. Many MIL's become insecure post son's marriage since they feel wife will be the most important person in his son's life thus replacing her. They would overcompensate for this and it becomes like a competition for them. Some tips that might help: - Communicate with her. - Ask her advice - Learn hubby's favorite dishes from her

Read more

Maybe check with your Husband on her behaviour, is it normal? If she treats everyone than same than perhaps it's not your issue. Some people just do not appears to be very friendly but they are just warm in the heart. It's really good that you are trying effort to be engage with your MIL and trying to make thing works. Keep on trying!!

Read more

Just be patience one day she will feel you love and effort. I'll suggest cook or buy food she like, communicate with her often find topic she like, bring her out shopping or dinner.

very difficult..... I have that too. cant walk into her not like my own mother. she keep everything herself seldom talk much.