Teaching babies stem

What's the best way to teach babies math, science and programming?

Teaching babies stem
34 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Thành viên VIP

@darius - really glad you asked this question. I am personally not a fan of flash cards or classes before your baby is above 18months. I prefer natural learning environments and exploratory learning. Here are some things to do to inculcate the love of Math and programming in your baby. I have based my suggestions on what age your baby is: 1. Baby nursery decor (Newborn) Instead of going for a cutesy Disney themed decor, go for decor that represents science, technology, astronomy etc. This will be your babies first exposure and her sanctuary where she builds her first dreams, goals, ambitions. Your surrounding will definitely have an influence on that. Babies like bright colours and patterns. If you want a little engineer ( I know I do), I suggest that you put up brightly coloured fractal pattern posters (pic attached). Download the freeware and enter variables until you get a pattern you like. Color code variables until the poster matches the colour of your nursery. Go to your local printing shop and have it blown up and framed up on the wall. Staring at the poster will help your baby with mathematical pattern recognition. 2. Things to touch (six month old) By six months, your baby is almost crawling and exploring the world by touch. Some of her first few toys can be old keyboards or old mouse. These provide interesting stimulation as you press on a key, and it makes a clicking noise. Furthermore, it is textured and has many crevasses to explore. By about 8 months your baby will start responding to colourful stimuli, such as large blocks and tiles. Play with her and observe what she does. Babies tend to naturally start classifying things, based on size, shape, or colour—and this builds a foundation for lifelong mathematical learning. Also set up toys that encourage your baby to explore her motor skills. Stacking rings, soft books, and other bright, textured toys do wonders to stimulate babies' senses. 3. Even more toys (Age 1) Nonfunctional calculators with large keypads work well as toys at about one year of age. Keep one on your table. Your baby will want to play with what mama and papa are playing with. When that curious hand reaches up over the edge of the desk, put the expendable calculator at her fingertips. Put measuring cups of different sizes and spoons in the bathtub for play. Give your baby plenty of sound-makers: shakers, drums, wrist bells, etc. Interacting and playing with musical instruments will build a sense of rhythm. Plus, she'll gradually learn that one shake or pat produces one sound, and two makes two noises, etc. 4. Books to read to baby (from birth) The Most Magnificent Thing If I Built A Car Hello Ruby: Adventures In Coding What Do You Do With An Idea? Papa's Mechanical Fish A, B, C for Toddler Engineers: U is for ultraviolet Quantum Physics for Babies Introductory Calculus For Infants Newtonian Physics for Babies 5. From 18 months Use a growth chart or scale to measure your toddlers height/weight. Let your toddler put money in a piggy bank (good for fine motor skills, too). Sort laundry together. Sort toys into their correct containers. Colouring book - The World's Most Ridiculously Excellent Science Coloring and Activity Book I hope these suggestions help!

Read more
Post reply image