Whats an ideal age gap between siblings to foster a healthy family atmosphere?

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I would say 3 years age gap is just nice. My elder one is quite independent when my second one is here. After baby has arrived, she is able to help me in taking care of the baby such as feeding milk and changing diapers. If the difference of age is too small, parents might find it overwhelmed to handle 2 babies. On the other hand, if the age gap is too wide, siblings will hardly play together as the interests will be totally different between them. http://sg.theasianparent.com/what-is-the-ideal-spacing-between-children/

Read more

I agree with Jamie. My friend whose two daughters are jut one year apart are very close and could relate well with each other. Myself, I am six year younger than my sister. Though growing up I irritate the hell out of her, we cannot be closer now. Age gap hardly matters. It is the way the children are being brought up. Small or large age gaps have their pros and cons. Make your decision based on when you and your wife feel ready for more and naturally you will be able to make things work. :)

Read more
Thành viên VIP

A healthy family atmosphere is determined by how much the parents love each other and themselves rather than the age gap. An age gap of less than 5 years would mean that the siblings will grow up as playmates, whereas a large sibling age gap of 10 years or more would mean that the elder sibling is more like a mentor and guide than a playmate.

Read more

For me, it's more on how the children were raised by their parents. Regardless of the age gaps, if kids were taught to love and respect each other, it shouldn't be a big factor. My sister and I have 8 years gap, and we're really close. I also know some friends who are enemies with siblings who are much older or younger than them.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

Personally I think between 3-5 years - so it's not too old that they are still like siblings - but there is less jealousy as it's clear who is the big sibling and who is the baby.

thanks

Influencer của TAP

doubt there is ideal

3 - 5 years

Thành viên VIP

2 years po

Super Mom

2 to 3