What are things I can do now that my baby is 9 months old, to ensure that she doesn't become a brat?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Traditionally, it is believed that spoilt brats emerge because of parents' guilt. Parents who are always busy at work or single parent households tend to overcompensate when they do spend time with their kids, giving in to all their whims and fancies. In the long run, this can breed bratty behaviour. However, this is not always true, I have seen parents who spend ample time with their kids and end up mollycoddling them, jumping in almost immediately all the time to help their kids. This can lead to an unhealthy dependence on parents and another type of bratty behaviour. That being said, I reckon being firm, moderate and drawing boundaries when you have to can help cultivate better behaviour. In my opinion, the spoilt brat emerges gradually when parents don't draw lines and are firm and consistent about yes-no matters. For example, you refuse to let your child eat something unhealthy for breakfast, but one day, out of sheer exhaustion (or something else), you allow your child to have a cookie. http://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/discipline/tips/are-you-raising-a-spoiled-brat/

Read more

I believe, being a brat is somehow related to being a picky eater. My baby is 6 months and in few days we'll feed her solids. From what I've read, we should only offer mashed veggies to our baby purely, I mean, without any sugar or salt so that he or she'll not look and hook at the sweet and salty taste in the future. Also, if you're exclusively breastfeeding, try to put some breastmilk on your baby's mashed food so that he or she'll still smell and taste the breastmilk.

Read more

You can start setting some boundaries without being too forceful. So for example, if your baby is demanding that you give her your fork (obviously a dangerous item), without saying "no" forcefully, distract her and give her something else to hold or play with.

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-3753)