Hi there.. lately i realise my son's startle reflex is affecting his sleep. I wanted to slowly wean him off swaddling but without the swaddle, he would wake up much earlier than usual. He is 3 months old and can sleep 6 to 7 hours with swaddle on. But without, he will start to fuss after ard 3 hours. My husband then realise that if we put a slightly heavier pillow on his legs (hip area was avoided, just his legs), it is similar to the swaddling effect but his hands are freed. But i am kind of worried with such approach - i.e. restricting his leg movements albeit he (and we) can sleep longer. Anyone can enlighten me on this? Or is there other ways i can slowly wean off swaddling (cos i suspect he will learn slipping over quite soon)? Thanks!

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My boy startle so easily until we found the swaddle method. Works like a charm and most importantly, he can have a good rest which is extremely important for brain development. My aunt said that all these swaddling will not allow him to stretch, which in turn affects his height. Stanley is 7 months old now and taller than the average baby. We eventually realised he doesn't need it anymore when he started breaking free from them. At that point, you will have to watch out for the cloth being over his face. Now, he gets his security either sleeping on his side or putting a bean pillow on his left chest.

Read more

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-33652)

Babies will not want to be swaddled when they are ready. Until then I would continue to swaddle as it is not safe to have pillows, blankets or any stuffed toys near babies for the risk of suffocation.

Thành viên VIP

I do light swaddling of the legs of my little one. He feels more secure and comforted by it. You can try to swaddle leg only.

7y trước

thanks jorelle. i will try swaddling his legs tonight. in any case, would adding weight on babies' legs dangerous as it impedes their movement? i hope he din fuss ard after 3 to 4 hrs cos he wanted milk! shouldnt be since he has been sleeping at least 5 hrs easily at night for past few weeks when swaddled.