The school have asked me to prepare UHT milk for my girl. How long can I keep for an open pack of UHT milk and can I still let my girl consume it a few hours after opening it?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Depends on how you store the milk after opening the seal. If milk carton/pack is opened and kept in the fridge, you will get more than 5 days shelf life out of it. Therefore, it should be safe to give your daughter the milk if its from the fridge. Best to get milk in cartons with caps instead of those you cut open, so you keep minimal contamination after opening and re-storing it. If you are buying individual packs (those with the straw), best to only open it when your daughter is ready to drink it. In Singapore's humid weather, best to avoid exposing food items out in the open for too long. Bacteria tends to grow and thrive in warmer temperatures.

Read more

Depends on how you store the milk after opening the seal. If milk carton/pack is opened and kept in the fridge, you will get more than 5 days shelf life out of it. Therefore, it should be safe to give your daughter the milk if its from the fridge. Best to get milk in cartons with caps instead of those you cut open, so you keep minimal contamination after opening and re-storing it. If you are buying individual packs (those with the straw), best to only open it when your daughter is ready to drink it. In Singapore's humid weather, best to avoid exposing food items out in the open for too long. Bacteria tends to grow and thrive in warmer temperatures.

Read more

Depends on two factors: - level of contamination (bacterial) of the milk left in the container - time of non-refrigerated exposure If it is minimally contaminated and kept in the fridge, estimated shelf life is 5 days. Same is true (in different degrees) for all perishable foods including soy milk. The warmer it is, the more bacteria it will grow. In fact, you can prepare small packet for her to bring, it nay be better that way.

Read more

The same rules apply to a pack of UHT milk as regular pasteurised milk, when you open it. However, for your daughter's school milk intake, I would suggest you giver her the small packs of UHT milk. All companies have them, and include chocolate and strawberry flavours. I tend to chill the UHT milk carton before sending it with my daughter in an insulated snack bag, so that it can stay cool.

Read more

Once you open an UHT milk, similar rules apply to pasteurized refrigerated milk, normally about a week in the fridge. For your daughter's day at school, I'd recommend small UHT packs that can stay closed until she drinks it. If that isn't an option, buy a bottle that keeps the milk cold or at least protects it from heat and light.

Read more

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-3448)

Thành viên VIP

Since the school is asking for UHT milk. Ever consider getting those indiviually packed uht milk? this way, you dont have to worry about the milk turning sour.

As others have said, once it's opened its shelf life is the same as ordinary milk so 4 hours if out of the fridge and 5 days if it's refrigrated.

thanks