inherited autism

Recently, I discovered that there's a history of autism in my husband's family, affecting both his parents and grandparents. He never mentioned this to me before, and now that I'm pregnant, I'm terrified that our baby might inherit it too............ I can't helpbut feel angry and betrayed that my husband kept this information from me. I understand that discussing family health history can be sensitive, but this feels like something crucial that should have been shared with me, especially considering we're starting a family together. isn't it???? I'm struggling to process all of this information and what it might mean for our child's future. I feel like I've been thrown into a situation I never expected, and I don't know how to navigate it. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you handle it? And does anyone have any advice or resources for dealing with the possibility of genetic inheritance? Any support or insights would be greatly appreciated right now.... 💔💔💔💔💔 #pregnancy #firsttimemom

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this challenging time. It's completely understandable that you feel scared and overwhelmed by the possibility of your baby inheriting autism. Discovering this family history must have been a shock, especially when you're already dealing with the normal worries of pregnancy. It's also understandable that you feel hurt and betrayed by your husband not sharing this information earlier. Family health history is definitely an important thing to talk about when starting a family together. But I'm sure he didn't mean to cause you pain, and maybe he just didn't know how to bring it up. As for handling this situation, I can't say I've been in the exact same position, but I believe that seeking support and information can be helpful. Have you considered discussing your concerns with a genetic counselor or a healthcare professional? They can provide more insight into the likelihood of genetic inheritance and help you understand the options available. You may also find comfort in connecting with other parents who have gone through similar experiences. Support groups or online communities can be great places to share your feelings and get advice from people who understand what you're going through. Remember, you're not alone in this. Your love and care for your child will be what truly matters, regardless of any genetic predispositions. Take things one step at a time, and be gentle with yourself as you navigate these new challenges. Sending you lots of love and strength during this difficult time. 💕💕💕💕💕 #pregnancy #firsttimemom https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear this, I empathise with your frustration, and it must be distressing going through pregnancy with many questions left in the clouds. I'm currently 7+ months pregnant, and I'm working in the SPED field. I wanna share that the autism is, unfortunately, highly hereditary as it's linked to genetic mutations that run in the family. However, chances that your child may inherit it is higher if mum has it (about 5.4%) as compared to dad (about 1.7%) This may be a sensitive question, but I wonder if you see traits of ASD in your spouse? Most importantly, do try to manage your stress. Such circumstances can be distressing for both mum & child, especially since you cannot control/predict the outcome. Do try to shift your focus on the positive possibility that your child will not inherit the mutated genes because mum is trying her best for the baby - mum is eating well, ensuring sufficient vitamin & nutrients (these are factors you can control), mum is still exercising, mum does not have the mutated gene & that the risk is lower, etc. I know it's hard, and it's much easier said than done.

Read more

💕

💕

Influencer của TAP

🙏💕

2mo trước

There is another lady on this platform who is also a serial emoji spammer on all posts... I have blocked them