Feel like a failure

Sometimes I feel like a failure mum. Everyone else can do but not me. For example, MIL come in the morning and afternoon baby such a sweetie, rarely fuss and sleep very well, eat very well. But once MIL pass back to me in the evening, baby keep fussing, can't make it sleep, sleep also only sleep for 10 mins and then wake up, drink milk also can't finish, keep crying non stop. I can't carry baby for long also, I feel like I even lose out in terms of strength with MIL. She can carry and rock baby for hours on end, but I can only do like 20-30mins and my arms are sore already. I dont know what am I even good for. Just ranting abit before going back to take care of baby.

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is great that you are taking care of yourself by ranting. We all need support one way or another. Indeed, when we grow up the idea, consciously or subconsciously, that mothers naturally know what to do with their babies and when it looks like everyone got it and not us, it is especially disheartening and we worry if we are good enough to care for baby or good enough as a mom. But we forget that mom and baby are essentially still adapting to the new life out of the womb . Like how when we were pregnant, we had to learn the different routines baby has, like when they are most active and the different patterns each trimester or even week brings. There might be more reasons to why baby fuss when back to you, overtired could be one. My overtired baby is Ms Cranky. Doesn’t feed well, takes a long time to sleep and doesn’t sleep well. Nights are always more difficult due to the accumulation of stress of growing on baby. We also feel more vulnerable at night as we too accumulate the stress of taking care of baby and life. As what other commenter mentioned, baby like to “bully” their closest. See it that baby does it because baby feels the most safe with us and thus able to let out the full force of their feelings without worry. 3months pp, we are still healing from pregnancy and labour. Furthermore, with addition of taking care of baby. It will take time for our strength to get back. Some are also built differently to have more strength. Baby is not gonna forget you, the bond can be deepen everyday with each interaction. You got this mama, a day at a time, sometimes an hour or minute at a time. Be kind to yourself, you are doing the best you can. ☺️

Read more