Speech delay?

Any parents here who has a 18 months old toddler who barely speaks proper words and only selective ones such as mama? My toddler cannot speak but has proper understanding such as 'wear shoes', 'sit down' etc and will follow accordingly without me doing any hand signs to signal her the action. Is this still consider speech delay?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I’m a first time mum and a childcare teacher. I’m teaching the 18 months to 3 year olds. To me it’s normal. As there are students of 24 months plus with little speech to no speech. What i usually suggest to parents is to read more books, or have pretend plays with your child to promote his/her language skills. Or just keep talking to him/her about anything at all. Also to provide solid foods/fruits like apples, pears to encourage your child to develop muscles in his/her jaws/mouth so that he/she can progressively start to talk! 😃 Different children develop their speech at different pace. Again, i am just a preschool teacher… sharing my experience, of caring for the 18 months to 3 year olds ✌🏻😁

Read more

hi! as an ECH teacher we often see children (even at age 4>) who might not speak much, or have as extensive a vocabulary compared to others. it's totally normal because every child is different and will learn to do so at their own pace! at that age even blabbering or mumbling could be considered as initial stages of speech. i usually tell parents that they could read more storybooks, talk to their child more (children tend to pick up language from the adults around them!) or even sing more songs if they want to :) however, i understand your worry as well so if it's still a concern then speak to your pediatrician/doctor about it and do what you need to do.

Read more

My boy is 19mths, also the same as yours.. doc want us to go back for speech review in 3 mths time. But I feel every child is different. Some tends to speak earlier than the other. So I’m not worried at all. My boy only start walking @ 18 mths.

Maybe because you or your family speak different language. So your kid get confuse and didn't speak or try to speak up

my eldest only really start talking after 2 yo... now 31 mths starts talking longer sentences after going childcare...

Influencer của TAP

Don't think so, sound like my 25months boy. He just started Childcare this 1 July, his vocabulary improved.

best to check with doctor at 18mth assessment. he may just be a late bloomer like my nephew

Thành viên VIP

☝️ my son couldn’t speak untill 2++