how long did your newborn latch?

My newborn is about a week old. My milk supply just started to come in. My new born takes about one hour to latch. At times, half way, she will fall asleep. **tiring mummy** Just curious how long did your newborn take to latch?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mom

I can feel you, my girl likes to latch for really long time too. My lactation consultant says if the latch is correct and effective, the boob can be emptied in about 15-20 min. You can visit lactation consultant to check if the latch is correct, if it is and baby still latches a long time it's fine too. They may be latching for comfort which is fine and it will help build up your supply. If it's too tiring you can try the side lying position - you and baby lie down side by side and you feed baby on the side. It's a life saver for me and I use it 90% of the time now ☺️

Read more
Thành viên VIP

I feel you. It’s very tiring. My baby would latch for about 10 min before falling asleep and then wake up 1 hour later crying for milk. It will get better as they grow older. They will get more efficient in latching and won’t need so long to latch. Ensure proper latch to avoid sore nipples.

Super Mom

Can be from 15 minutes to 2 hours. Sometimes she falls asleep too. Then when I try to unlatch her, she cries and wants to latch back on, and will drink properly again. It truly is tiring 😴😴

My newborn also takes about an hour then still need to give formula milk as it is not enough for her, currently only on my third day.

Thành viên VIP

mine longer was 1h too. I now latching him while lying down

Thành viên VIP

Around 25 mins