Switching to full Formula

Hi mummies, Due to premie baby’s inability to suckle and latch properly and my low milk supply, i am Doing mixed feeding. Currently only 2 weeks into this and Am already on the verge of giving up as it can be really tiring. wondering if anyone can share their experience if any with purely formula fed infants? Do babies who are purely formula fed grow up to be less strong and intelligent? As much as I hope my milk supply and baby’s latching can be up to mark, it is really a drain on my energy so hope to hear some views! TIA!

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hi mummy! i direct bf my girl for only 3-4days? I couldn't latch her properly and she keeps falling asleep on me. it makes me super tiring to latch her those few days as i was taking care of my own confinement too. i did mixed feeding for her first month, 1-2 bm feeds before bedtime as i have vvvvvery low supply. the rest of the feedings, full formula. i stopped giving bm when she entered 1 month plus old as no matter how much power pump i did, i still couldn't even get 1 feed. it was demoralising but i cant keep trying something impossible and let my girl suffer waiting for my supply. so 1 month onwards, full formula. theres pros and cons with formula. good thing are you can save abit of your energy from pumping, use that time to bond while bottle feeding, easier and painless etc. cons are formula need to be stocked up regularly haha my baby drinks 1tin for 1 week at least. never more than 10days,need new tin alr. my girl is alr 3months old now. maybe its too soon to say but everyone said her milestone is very fast. faster milestone more than her own 3months. even my husband is shocked as hes always busy working and boom next thing he knew baby alr interacting and answering him with baby language and etc. i dont think its purely based on what milk ( bm vs ff), its also on how to talk to them, playtime with them, etc. interactions are the most important thing in a child's development, not only thru milk. thats what i believed. but mummy! dont be too hard on yourself ok? you know whats best for your baby. even if you decide full BF, being stress won't help with the supply. most important, mummy happy, baby happy.

Read more
4y trước

Thanks for the reassurance! Glad to hear you and your bb is doing well despite the initial difficult times.

My bb couldn't latch when he was born. Thus, i express pump and feed him formula at night when my supply was not enough. I wanted to give up pumping as early as week 2 because it was super tiring to pump every 3h. In week 4 as my confinement nanny was leaving and i might not have time to pump 3 hourly and take care of bb. I forced myself to continue and i struggled a lot. Tried to pump less frequent but breasts felt hard and i was worried that if i fall sick, it would be very tiring for my husband to look after both of us. I managed to push myself till week 7 and i finally gave up breastfeeding after crying so many times. It is a hard decision to make but at least i am happier now and i have more time to spend with bb instead of the pump. Bb is drinking formula milk now and gaining weight. I do not think breastmilk will mean success in life. What is important is our parenting skills and the values we impart to our child.

Read more
4y trước

My bb is taking nestle nan. Taste is similar to breastmilk

No worries about mixed feed or fully formula babies. Still will grow to be strong and smart. One impt thing I want share with you is, don't be dishearten by ebm supply being low at this point; only 2 weeks+. It took my wife many weeks of consistent expressing until now our 2 months+ cannot finish all the milk expressed. Wife was only able to express 1ml when hand express for first week or so. Baby had to supplement with formula until about 1 month+ then the ebm is sufficient. But it sure is mad tiring with every 3 hours waking up to feed and pump; a mother's sacrifice for her love for her baby. Ebm or formula, most important is stay hydrated and keep your emotions positive. Baby can sense if you are emo so it matters to your baby :)

Read more
Thành viên VIP

It’s ok to feed formula milk if it’s stressing you out. Your physical and mental health is more important. Your baby needs the best version of you. But if you really still want to do mixed feeding, have you considered exclusive pumping? Get a good pump like Spectra S1 and you can use a special bottle or cup feed your baby. You can join Breastfeeding Mothers’ Support Group (BMSG) on Facebook if you need advice on breastfeeding. If you have any questions, they have breastfeeding counsellors who can answer and other mummies who can provide advice too. Hang in there!

Read more

My mum doesn't breastfeed me when I was a baby but I have a PhD. My mil couldn't bf my hubby too but he is now a top salesperson in one of the US top company. He is very strong and able to hold down a python. Don't stress yourself. BM doesn't taste nice when the mother is unhappy. Drink more fluid, take your supplement and pump more frequent. The supply will catch up with demand very soon. Ganbatte!!!

Read more

I dont believe in breast is best nor fed is best. To me, do what is the best for you and your family. Like you, my boy was mixed fed too, as my supply was low and i had diff latching him. After 3.5 months, he was purely formula fed. So much more convenient and i wasnt so stressed over my supply, clogged ducts etc. He is happy and so am i. You do you mummy.

Read more

my brothers & cousins all grew up being fed formula only as my family was rather lazy & not well educated on breastfeeding, they all grew up healthy, well & fine. they are also all pretty smart too! PSLE most of them scored a 260 above, IQ & EQ both present & also very sporty, don’t fall sick that often either. i’d say do what u think is best!

Read more
Thành viên VIP

Id say to continue mixed feeding as long s possible, offering bm first! Milk supply esp for premies are important, that's why kkh had set up the milk bank. But don't stress with production, can supplement with fm if baby is still hungry

i bf for.4 days, and switched to fm.. now im happier, more time vacant to bond w bb and less mental stess & stuff.. do what you feel makes you happy. x

Dun worry. Formula baby still grow up strong and healthy.