hello mummies, just wanna ask when i checkin the hospital can i ask for epidural immediately before the pain starts to kicks in as im someone that has v less pain tolerance:( or do i have to wait till certain timing then i can asked for epidural

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Not for my case at KKH. I was in pain from 9+pm - 4+am before getting the epidural. The nurse said that I can only get epidural after dilation to a certain cm (can't remember the exact number, 3cm maybe?).

4y trước

Yes have to wait till certain dilation (more than 5cm or so) with increasing contraction and certainty of delivery before they administer epidural. Their worry is if they inject too early n dilation remains stagnant (eg 5cm for more than a few days), they may have to remove the epidural first if not body will be numb throughout. Can let medical staff know right from the start of your admission to delivery ward.

Yep I was about 3cm dilated when in labour ward. The nurses immediately asked me if I wanted epidural and advised me to request early as they need 45mins-1h to process it.

Thành viên VIP

Yes, just ask for epidural immediately and they will pass you a form to fill up. It takes time for the doctor to come too. Ask for it early

Super Mom

Yes you can:) but you’ll need to give the anaesthetist some time to get there. In the meantime, you can ask for the laughing gas while waiting.

4y trước

feel so relief to hear that! HAHAH

I think can ask immediately. Bcs if 5-7cm dilated cnnt take epi alrdy.

Thành viên VIP

Yes you can but best to book your anesthesiologist early...

4y trước

omg thats great!

Yes, I had painless labour and delivery.

Yes u can.