Breastfeeding Woes

Hi Mummies, since the start of my breastfeeding journey, i realised that my milk output for my right boob is 50% lesser than my right boob. Currently am pumping 80 ml on left and 40 ml or lesser on right and its not even enough to sustain 1 feed for my LO. any advice on how to increase milk supply? i’ve read tons of thread here, tried lactation cookies, fenugreek, oats, dates milk and even powerpumped for a good 3 weeks but still milk supply is stagnant.. any mums out there faced the same issue and managed to overcome it? my LO is 1.5 months now and his demand of milk is sometimes hard to keep up to. am currently supplementing with FM but hoping that milk supply is able to keep up to his needs. any advice? tyia

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I would cut off fenugreek as it does not work for everyone. Some find that fenugreek kills the supply instead. Drink more water/soup/milo. Most importantly, don’t stress (milk killer!). At 1.5mo, your supply haven’t regulated yet so remember to pump every 2.5~3 hourly. Can try sunflower lecithin to thin out your milk as well, also, check that the flange size is correct. I used to pump only 25~60ml (both boobs) at 1mo to the extend that I was about to give up bf. Not forgetting the crazy amount of mastitis I had. I didn’t take any lactation cookies nor oats/milk. I just drank water and took legendairy supplements. Subsequenly I managed to pump over 1L (and 800ml on avg) per day and even managed to donate my milk so don’t be stressed. It will increase overtime as long as you don’t skip pumps. I switched to handsfree pump at 2.5m cause I was the main caregiver and couldn’t be stuck to the pump. (Might wanna consider only using handsfree after you’ve regulated) Also taking sunflower lecithin together with the legendairy bundle (3 bots pack). The first day I switched to handsfree, my yield went up to 180ml combined instead of the usual 65ml😂. Good luck and don’t stress!!

Read more
1y trước

may I check how long did it take to see the increase to 1L?

I am sharing these tips which were in the article with you. that might help you.ensure that baby is attaching well and removing milk efficiently from the breast be prepared to feed your baby more frequently — breastfeed on demand every 2-3 hours at least 8 times in 24 hours switch your baby from one breast to the other; offer each breast twice ensure your breasts are emptied well at each feed or pumping session; you can express after breastfeeds to make sure do not go longer than 5 hours without milk removal — your baby at the breast sucking is the most effective way to do this, but otherwise use a hand or electric pump when your baby is feeding, compress your breast to aid milk flow as this will also encourage more effective sucking make sure you are drinking a lot of water, eating a healthy balanced diet and not missing any meals also ensure you are resting as much as possible between feeds

Read more

Don't give up. just hang in there. I had the same issue. I gave formula+breastmilk to my little one

Don't give up Mummy! the more u latch the supply will increase.

Mummy. Did you go for a lactation massage.?