After birth

Hi Mummies, just a few questions from a FTM here! I’m not sure if I can produce milk right after birth but the hospital will feed my newborn with formula right? Question 1: What happens when I am on the way home and baby is hungry? I mean assuming baby is crying because she could be hungry, what do I do if I don’t have breastmilk yet? Will the hospital give us some formula milk to take home? Should I bring my own milk bottle? Does that mean I have to standby a thermal flask as well? Question2: Assuming I can already produce milk after birth, where can I store my breastmilk (if let’s say I’m pumping BM) in the hospital while waiting for baby’s next feed? Should I bring breastmilk storage bags? And then where do I keep my BM? No fridge in subsidised Wards right? Question 3: Do I need to bring nursing pads for breasts? I’ve packed 8 pairs cause really don’t know what to expect. Is it too much? Question 4: I’ll be delivering in KKH under subsidy and I’ve heard horror stories too many times and praying it doesn’t happen to me but any chance I can bring a donut pillow to sit on after delivery as I heard you’ll need to sit on the wheelchair right after a normal delivery (with stitches and all) which is absolutely absurd so that’s why I was thinking of bringing an inflatable donut pillow. Any of you encountered that before? My EDD is 19 Oct and preparing my hospital bag now, and pretty nervous while at it! #1stimemom #advicepls

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mummy, They will usually try to latch baby but in case you’re not producing milk yet, they will cup feed your baby! I opted for the nurses to feed my son. Q1: no, they do not give the formula. When I was in the car, my baby didn’t cry, he slept pretty long so I’m sure it will be fine. However if you’re nervous, maybe you can bring a small bottle and formula! NB drinks around 30ml only. Q2: you can just latch your baby if you have can. However for excess milk I’m not sure where you can store it. I didn’t get to use my pump while I was in the hospital. As for fridge, I’m not sure if subsidized ward has a fridge. Maybe you can get the nurse to help you 😊 Q3: YES! Please do! I was leaking, lucky I brought a few. I only wore it when it’s time to go home. I brought two pairs only. Q5: I can’t answer this properly as I’m a private patient under KKH. But I’m sure even under subsidized patient they will take good care of you. They provided me with donut pillow when they wheeled me back to my ward. However there’s actually no need to bring one, I managed without it 😉 Good luck mummy!!

Read more

Last time KKH will feed nb with formula but not anymore. You will be ask to directly latch your baby. Q1 : Keep latching for the milk to come out. Not sure if KKH provides breastpump now. Q2 : Not sure about this. I don't even bring any pumps during all my 4 births. I directly latch them. Q3 : Also don't need to actually unless you have already started to leak. Q4 : I gave birth 3 times at KKH (another in NUH) all under subsidy and mine was a memorable one. Helpful & kind nurses/midwife. Last time was those with experiences. Your V will be totally numb if you ever needed stitches (for first birth) so you dont need the donut pillow but no harm to bring so you can also sit on the chair that's near to your bed to bf your baby.

Read more