pregnant but cannot stop smoking 😭

Hi Moms, please don't judge. I'm reaching out because I'm feeling really confused and torn right now. I recently found out I'm pregnant, which is incredibly exciting, but I'm struggling with a habit I know I need to break: smoking. I've been a smoker for quite some time, and while I desperately want to quit for the health of my baby, I'm finding it incredibly difficult. Whenever I try to refrain from smoking altogether, I start feeling extremely nauseous and end up vomiting. It's like my body is rebelling against me for depriving it of something it's used to. Here's what I've been doing lately: instead of inhaling the smoke into my lungs like I used to, I've been just drawing it into my mouth and then exhaling. It's not ideal, I know, but it seems to alleviate the nausea temporarily. I'm aware of the dangers of smoking during pregnancy, and I'm really trying my best to do what's right for my baby. But I feel so lost and conflicted right now. Has anyone else been in a similar situation or have any advice to offer? I would really appreciate any guidance or support you can provide. Thank you so much. 🌸 #seriouslyasking #nojudgement #firsttimemom

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there! First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy! It's completely understandable that you're feeling torn and confused about smoking during this time. It's a tough habit to break, especially when it's been a part of your life for a while. I want to reassure you that you're not alone in this struggle. Many moms have faced similar challenges and have found ways to overcome them. It's great that you're reaching out for support and guidance. I understand that quitting cold turkey can be really tough, especially with the nausea and vomiting. It's a good step that you've modified your smoking habits by drawing the smoke into your mouth and then exhaling instead of inhaling it into your lungs. This shows that you're already taking steps to reduce the impact on your baby. One suggestion I have is to gradually reduce the number of cigarettes you smoke each day. This can help minimize the withdrawal symptoms while still working towards quitting completely. You could also try finding alternative ways to cope with stress or cravings, such as going for a walk, practicing deep breathing, or finding a new hobby to distract yourself. It's important to seek support from your healthcare provider as well. They can provide personalized advice and support to help you through this process. There are also resources and programs available specifically for pregnant women who are trying to quit smoking. Remember, it's okay to ask for help and to lean on others for support during this time. You're doing your best for your baby, and that's what matters most. You're already taking steps in the right direction, and I believe you can overcome this challenge. Wishing you all the best on your journey! 🌸 #nojudgement #yougotthis https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

How about chewing sweets instead? Or try out those smoking replacement thing that mimics smoking but not actually smoking. There are other ways to relieve the nausea, eg 100 plus or requesting diclectin pills from gynae. Withdrawal stage is hard but it’s mostly mentally. You’re gonna have to set your mind on it instead of letting it control you that “it helps to relieve your nausea”. I am an ex smoker too but the opposite of you, I get nauseous when I smell smoke so. All the best and hoping you’ll be able to find alternatives to curb this! 🤞🏻

Read more