Helper woes: setting boundaries

Would like to hear from anyone who has helpers… how do you navigate having a stranger at home? I recently hired a Myanmar helper and with communication difficulties, it’s hard to explain to her about personal space and privacy. She seems to not understand the concept. I’m really bothered to share my space with a stranger. For example, when I’m in the living room and she finishes her work in the afternoon, she would sit next to me on the sofa or on our armchair and stare in space or stare at me and baby. I find it super uncomfortable and also bothered that she chose to sit on our armchair. Yet there is a dilemma that I’m mistreating her if I tell her she can only sit on the floor or in the kitchen. I tried telling her I enjoy my personal space but she doesn’t seem to understand. If I can, I wouldn’t want a helper but circumstances called for it. I’m struggling to adjust and would like to hear from other young mums who hire a helper for the first time. How do you adjust to having a stranger at home and how do set such boundaries with your helper?

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

I don’t know, is it possible to get a chair for her and tell that that’s her designated chair?