Workout

Hi! im in my 6 weeks now. I workout alot before pregnancy (lifting weights and cardio) but when i found out im pregnant, i stop working out and switch to yoga instead. Is it safe?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's okay! Listen to your body. You'll know when it's uncomfortable. I'm active throughout my pregnancy from 4 weeks onwards and I only cut down after 34 weeks to try to boost my baby's weight (which is on my own accord, gynae didn't say I need to do that). I still played badminton in first tri. I did a mixture of strength training with weights swimming and cardio hiit that are pregnancy -friendly. Yoga was too low intensity for me and I only did yoga once a fortnight all the way till late pregnancy. That being said, everyone's body changes differently during pregnancy. I changed to baby weights (7lbs and below) and took breaks whenever I feel too tired or out of breath. I've omitted kettlebell training from the onset cause it didn't feel good for me and I had a tiny bit of spotting after carrying heavier weight so I got cautious. You'll know when to stop :) If you're unsure, you can check with your gynae :) Sometimes they might point out contraindications for exercises, like placenta previa. From what I understand that may involve complete pelvic rest and no yoga too. Whenever I check, my gynae told me that exercises are okay but just keep them low impact. I have come across a mum who is a personal trainer and still lifted weights throughout her pregnancy, you can find her on instagram under the handle Limaran agustina. She also trains expectant mums :) She might be able to give you better suggestions. I also took reference for some cues- Pregnancy exercise: Warning signs to slow down or stop https://www.babycenter.com/0_pregnancy-exercise-warning-signs-to-slow-down-or-stop_7818.bc

Read more