Maternity leave & when to start taking leave

Hi im a FTM, working full time and EDD mid sept 2023. I only know im entitled for 16 weeks maternity leave but im not sure how it works. Does it only start after ive given birth or i can start a week before EDD? And how early do you start taking leave before EDD? Can we request for Hospital leave from KKH, for 1-2 weeks before our EDD ? Or some mummies dont take leave before EDD and only when you start having labour signs ? Sorry for the multiple questions as im still confused#firsttimemom #firstbaby

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Most gynaes are strict on HL hence don't bother about it. You may wish to take a week of ML before EDD to do get some pretty good rest, last minute preparations. Alternatively, you may start using it as soon as you give birth/in labour. Previous work place most of my colleagues use it when they are in labour. However, it may be difficult for your company to make other arrangement if let say you don't make early plan of ML. On the other hand, depend on your agreement with you and company how to make use of the 16 weeks ML. You can split or use it all. Or as mentioned when in labour to use ML. Both child I took ML 1/2 weeks before EDD to do prep and getting some rest as I work in hotel and retail. Therefore, getting everything done properly was my main reason to take ML earlier though I give birth both after EDD.

Read more