Maternity leave & when to start taking leave

Hi im a FTM, working full time and EDD mid sept 2023. I only know im entitled for 16 weeks maternity leave but im not sure how it works. Does it only start after ive given birth or i can start a week before EDD? And how early do you start taking leave before EDD? Can we request for Hospital leave from KKH, for 1-2 weeks before our EDD ? Or some mummies dont take leave before EDD and only when you start having labour signs ? Sorry for the multiple questions as im still confused#firsttimemom #firstbaby

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My Gynae was strict about giving me HL cos I was not hospitalised. At most he gave me few days mc to rest. ML starts when I gave birth and trust me 16 weeeks flew by so fast! My colleagues even joked that I can cut short the ML (I mean who would want right?) I want to spend time with my baby. You can take some annual leave before your EDD if you want but I worked till I give birth as I need to train my maternity cover then.

Read more
11mo trước

I really envy my friends who can take HL (2-3wks) to rest before delivering. Surprisingly their Gynae clinics were at the private hospitals itself. Feels like it’s easier to get HL….