Maternity leave & when to start taking leave

Hi im a FTM, working full time and EDD mid sept 2023. I only know im entitled for 16 weeks maternity leave but im not sure how it works. Does it only start after ive given birth or i can start a week before EDD? And how early do you start taking leave before EDD? Can we request for Hospital leave from KKH, for 1-2 weeks before our EDD ? Or some mummies dont take leave before EDD and only when you start having labour signs ? Sorry for the multiple questions as im still confused#firsttimemom #firstbaby

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I made a mistake with my first pregnancy to start a few weeks earlier from my edd. Couldve used that extra few weeks after the baby is born. The feeling of going back to work after the 16 weeks leave was really hard! So as much as possible try to stretch the maternity leave by taking after birth. I’ll be doing that for my 2nd child due Jan. But with that being said, do what’s best for you. If it’s really too much to endure, can always start a few weeks earlier. Take your mind off work too 😊

Read more