Which breast pump is the best?

I’m a FTM and I’m very lost on how do we know which brand of breast pump is the best? Eg. Hegen VS medela? Is there actually a mummy crash course on this kind of stuff where we get to learn tips and tricks for choosing baby items? Appreciate any advice. Thank you.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I can’t advise much about the differences in pumps but I’m currently using Hegen pump for 4 mths and it’s working ok for me! I’m slightly oversupply though so i have to do compressions/massage while pumping to clear fully. I do think it may not clear as well as other pumps but i appreciate the portability more. I don’t have any help most of the time and i’m the sole caregiver for my baby and dog before my hubby ends work so being able to move around helps a bunch! Note: before i realised that i need to do compressions while pumping, i was always engorged despite taking lecithin and ended up with a round of mastitis. So pls be careful!

Read more

I think it's impt to identify your needs first. Hospital grade pumps, like Spectra S1, are usually more powerful, and many mummies get better yield from it. However, you'll be strapped to it while pumping. Handsfree pumps allow u to move around while pumping coz it's worn under your bra,but you'll need to rmb to charge the motors, and the suction may be less powerful. That said,I prefer handsfree pump over the hospital grade pumps any day, coz of the mobility it allows. I use it at home and at office. I also oddly get a better yield with handsfree pumps, so it's a case of everyone having different experience

Read more

Hi, congrats on your pregnancy! I attended a new parents crash course by My First Love and they had a small booth selling breast pumps. The course also taught about breastfeeding. Perhaps you can search about it. I have both spectra S1+ and medela freestyle with wearable cups. I feel that the spectra is able to express more milk than the medela but the spectra is not as portable as the medela one. So I use the medela wearables at work or in the day time and then the spectra at night before bed and for the first pump in the morning.

Read more
1t trước

Hi! I’m planning to attend My First Love as well. Would love to know your experience. I’m a FTM 🙂

I'm a FTM also. attended the prenatal course recently and asked the lactation consultant (LC) to recommend a pump to me. she say that Spectra is not bad while medela is good, it's quite expensive. I initially wanted to buy hegen but she shared that Hegen's pressure to express is not as good but she ask me to go test it out.. all the mums in the class bought spectra so it kinda also tell me what to go for.. just my 2 cents worth 😉

Read more
7d trước

Hello, may I ask which prenatal course you went? (:

I'm using Spectra and it's pretty good! When I was researching about breast pumps before buying, the two names that usually pop up are Medela and Spectra. I own the S1+ and it can extract quite a lot of milk. The only thing is I haven't gotten the hands free ones, so I gotta hold on to the pump in one hand. I'm not sure about the crash course, so maybe someone else can share. All the best!

Read more

I use spectra 1+ as it is hospital grade and highly recommended. Got the pumping hands free bra so you don’t have to hold up the pumps. But I also use the wearable about once or twice a day so I can do my own stuff cos got a bit lazy..

6d trước

I just normal nursing bras for the wearable pumps. As long as can fit in and the pumps don't drop out, can already

🩷