Problems with ADHD and ODD.

I need advice, My 10 year old boy has ADHD and ODD. Since he was 6 years old. He refuse to study anything. He don’t know his ABC and 1 to 10 at that time and it was very worrying as he is entering into primary school the following year. That is when it all started. He will come out with lies , excuses just to stop studying. Me and my husband push on and he manage to improve and catch up with his peers. But the lies and excuses didn’t stop. Can you imagine Everyday this is happening. And he started stealing money from friends , taking things that does not belong to him. And lie to me saying that his friend gave it to him. He is one smart boy. As he can think of ways to do what he wants and not get caught. Many things happen along the way. A lot of argument between me and my husband as well as there are many disagreements. I’m the soft one and he is the one that is very strict. He has to change school because he had trouble keeping friends and the teacher didn’t have the patience to handle a boy like him as well. As he is not attentive in class and he distracts other pupils as well. He is always put to the back. But my husband and me never fail to make sure he follows up on the subjects which is why my son doesn’t have the time to play during weekends. As he is always busy catching up with study work. Right now in primary 4 he is starting to show his displeasure. He will try his best to delay his time. He acts like he is studying but in fact he is not. - Problem -lies to avoid what he doesn’t want to do -excuses so he can do what he wants which it is not good for him -laziness What we have tried - rewards -encouragement -explanation -spending more time on him. -counselling Do you have other ideas ?

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

i’m sorry to hear that as you must be under a lot of stress as a concerned mummy. could you speak with the school counsellor? i feel they may have good advice for you as they are trained to help with such issues.

4y trước

I have already done that. But so far haven’t met one that truly cares.