I heard that if you suspect that your kid has meningitis you can do a quick test at home: get your child to touch his chin to chest. If his neck hurts in doing this, or is unable to do it, it could be meningitis. Is this correct?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's not easy to spot the symptoms of meningitis. People often confuse the early signs and symptoms of meningitis with the flu. In fact, meningitis may come on the heels of a flu-like illness or infection. That's why it's important to stay alert, learn the hallmark signs and symptoms of meningitis, and act quickly. It may help save a life. Common Signs and Symptoms of Meningitis Bacterial meningitis symptoms may develop within hours or days. Viral meningitis symptoms may also develop quickly or over several days. Here are more common signs and symptoms of both types. Not all symptoms may appear or appear in the same order. Fever, headache, and neck stiffness are the hallmark symptoms of meningitis. Fever Severe, persistent headache Neck stiffness and pain that makes it difficult to touch your chin to your chest Nausea and vomiting Confusion and disorientation (acting "goofy") Drowsiness or sluggishness Sensitivity to bright light Poor appetite More severe symptoms include seizure and coma In infants, symptoms may include fever, irritability, poor feeding, and lethargy. Other Potential Signs and Symptoms of Meningococcal Disease These are additional signs and symptoms of meningococcal infection that has entered the bloodstream: Abnormal skin color Stomach cramps Ice-cold hands and feet Skin rash Muscle ache or joint pain Rapid breathing Chills

Read more

The test that you have described is a self test for stiffness of neck. While a stiff neck is one of the symptoms of meningitis, it is not the only one. Early signs actually mimic that of flu. Other symptoms include: - High fever (with cold hands and feet) - Vomit and refusal to feed/poor feeding - Inactivity or sluggishness, become drowsy and unresponsive - Grunt or breathe rapidly - Have pale, blotchy skin, and a red rash (do a glass test: red rash doesn’t face when a glass is rolled over it) - Tense, bulging soft spot on the top of child’s head This is a serious condition with could lead to permanent brain damage or death. If you suspect your child of having meningitis, please seek medical help immediately. For more information: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/meningitis/symptoms-causes/dxc-20169522 http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Meningitis/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Read more

I had a bout of meningitis when I was in my teens and it started with a stiff neck, achy muscles and later a fever with cold sweats. Stiffness of the muscles is an indicator but not the only symptom of meningitis. I also remember that when I was at the doctor and the receptionist asked me for my ic number, it took me a long time to recall it and took me even longer to dig it out of my wallet. Look out for similar signs in your child because meningitis can be deadly for younger kids and must get medical attention as soon as possible.

Read more

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-3469)

thanks