Scoliosis Surgery

Hi! I had scoliosis when I was younger so I had to go for surgery (they inserted metal rod on my backbone to support it) but that was about 12 years ago. Will this affect the delivery of baby? Can I still give birth normally? Can I still take epidural (understand that it’s a jab from the back). The scoliosis surgery was done super long ago and it doesn’t feel like anything anymore so it shouldn’t affect my birthing right?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hello, i had scoliosis surgery when I was younger before as well. And I recently just gave birth to my newborn naturally without epidural. Here are some suggestions on what I did: 1. Get an X-ray film of your scoliosis and let your gynae to advise if epidural is ok for you, as it depends on which section of the metal rod is inserted to your spine. 2. If the metal rod is inserted near to your hips, it is better not to take epidural (natural or csec) as it will be difficult to jab to the spine. FYI, it is also not the most ideal to have General Anesthesia csec as both mother and child will be asleep, and it may pose complications. Then again, please consult your gynae for more advice. Wishing you a smooth delivery!

Read more
Super Mom

Hi mama, Yes it is most certainly possible to give birth naturally. Mums whom I know who had scoliosis birthed without an epi so you might want to check with a doctor regarding this - I believe that it’s just a matter of where the metal rod was inserted and the placement of the epi coz it is inserted into a space between the bones of the spine.

Read more

Hi, i also had the surgery~ was wondering how isit like for you now? Are you planning to have epidural or csect?

3y trước

Congrats!! I see, okies! Thanks for sharing 😊😊😊

4y trước

Thank you 🥰