Gestational sac measuring smaller

I did a frozen embryo transfer of a day 5 blastocyst and during my first scan at week 6 day 4, my gestational sac measured smaller at week 5 day 3. There was also no yolk sac and heartbeat visible. My understanding is that the dates would be very accurate for ivf, and measuring behind on my scan made me very worried. Does this mean the pregnancy is not viable? Any positive stories of similar situation that anyone could share?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You’re right - you should be able to see a heartbeat at this stage, and with IVF, your dates indeed would be pretty accurate. This happened to me before and my doctor asked me to scan again at week 7 and week 8 but still there was no heartbeat, so it was a miscarriage for me. Your doctor probably would ask you to come back and scan at least one more time - my doctor said in some rare situations, it still worked out. Good luck!!!

Read more
2y trước

thanks for sharing and for the well wishes! Really hoping that a miracle would happen when I return for a scan next week...

What I know usually for week 5 to 7 it is pretty hard to see the yolk sac and heartbeat. Most of the time on the next check then it can be seen and hear the heartbeat. I did not take IVF but this is also for normal pregnancy. I did scanning on my earlier weeks and it is like a peanut/bean size. Doctor did explain to me. Perhaps you can wait for your next appt.

Read more
2y trước

Totally understand as I do have few friends that goes through IVF process 🥰 All the best and may you have smooth pregnancy.

I have similar situations with IVF too. My 6wk scan doesn’t see yolk sac. 8wk see yolk sac and faint heart beat. 10 wk no heart beat and pregnancy was confirmed not viable at wk11 4 days then Schedule to evacuate.

1y trước

Sorry to hear this! Do take care!

Hi, I’m currently experiencing the exact same situation as you. May I know how’s the outcome for the next scan? Hopes everything turns out well for u

1y trước

Hi! Did see a yolk sac at my next scan but no heartbeat visible so pregnancy wasn’t viable to continue. Hope all will work out for you in your case. Good luck!!