Is it true mums can't eat when warded for delivery?

Hi, I attended antenatal class by KKH recently and we were told that once in labour, we are not allowed to eat anything at all. Only sips of water and ice. Is this true? I do have gastric, and I thought that we could eat while waiting for dilation. What if it takes 10 hours, does one not get to eat anything in that 10 hours? 😳 Could mums who delivered in KKH share their experiences pls #advicepls #firstbaby #firstmom #firsttimemom

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes once in labour room youre not allowed to eat. I think the reason behind it is because i case youll end up in emergency csect. Cs if csect, you cannot eat for few hrs before and after it. For me i was induced and was not dilated so i was pushed to my ward to monitor. Only when i was 2cm dilated, and gynae wanted to break my waterbag then i was pushed to labor room. And yes no food only sips of water. I also think not allowed to eat cs they want to keep the premises as clean as possible as thats where youll be giivng birth if vaginally. But honestly once youre experiencing contraction you wont have the appetite and energy to eat.

Read more

I think it depends on your gynae :) I just gave birth last month at kkh under a private gynae. Was induced and my labour was 38 hours. I also thought that once I am in delivery suite, I will not be able to eat so I was prepared for that. But I took epidural and my gynae broke my water bag at 2cm dilated and she allowed me to have lunch and dinner as per usual as she predicted that my labour will be slow and long till the following day so she did not want me to starve. In the end, my baby decided to it’s time to come out at midnight so my last food intake was at 9plus pm. I guess it’s case by case basis! :)

Read more

When i was in labour.. i wasnt allowed to eat but nurse told me just have a bit.. i was in there for almost a day coz i got in at 3 am and only delivered at 12 am the next day.. so imagine the hunger i had.. i literally kept my muffin to eat after i pop 😅 supposedly after epidural cannot take, but i also eat 🤣.. but mine wasnt in kkh thou!

Read more