Has anyone noticed that breast milk helps in curing babies' cough and colds? I've observed this on my baby few times, she had cough and colds, my wife will just let her latch as long as she wants and after couple of days, the cough and colds are gone without giving any medicines to our baby. Has anyone observed this as well?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is likely that consuming breast milk could help decrease the severity and length of your baby’s cold or flu. Here is an article which offers an explanation for it: http://www.breastfeedingheadquarters.com/breastmilk-the-ultimate-organic-cold-and-diarrhea-medication/ According to the article, a mother’s milk contains many anti-infective products (in particular, IgA) and fighting cells. IgA appears to be tailor-made to fight bacteria and viral infection present in your environment. Hence, when the mother’s body detected a cold virus in the surrounding, specific IgA complexes against that particular virus will be produced and pass on to the baby through breast milk.

Read more