Good morning parents. My son is just 6 months old but sometime his breath is smelly. I clean his mouth with a small soft cotton cloth. Is it normal to have bad smell?

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, It can be because of some respiratory infection and also because of the environment is capable of sustaining the same bacteria that causes bad breath in adults. In babies, dryness in mouth also causes bad breath. Since, babies keep their mouth open, the environment in the mouth becomes devoid of oxygen resulting in the reproducing of aerobic bacteria in the mouth that causes bad breath. So, you make sure, you clean the gums and tongue of the baby with wet cotton ball and keep the baby hydrated. Also, because babies put their toys in their mouth so bacteria from the toys reach their mouth and not only cause bad breath but can also cause stomach flu in babies.

Read more

Pretty hard to gauge. Best to take to your pd, and let the pd advise. Whenever my lo is sick, his breathe tends to smell funny as well. It has something to do with the respiratory system. It also depends on what lo eats. With all this shared during your visit to the pd, im sure pd can advise if there is a need to go to the dentist. Raise your concerns, thats the safest option.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

Not supposed to have bad breath this young though.. Did you clean his mouth thoroughly? Maybe you can try getting the silicone finger toothbrush. It’s very soft, won’t hurt baby. But at the same time, it can really clean away all the milk residues on baby’s tongue. https://welovesupermom.com/products/sft-5610-108-kidsme-silicon-finger-toothbrush-and-gum-massager

Read more
Post reply image

There are a lot of reasons why your baby's breath might be smelly. Sometimes it's the food, and sometimes it just smells that way. If you're worried about it, then it's best to take your child to a dentist so they can help you out better. They can also recommend some tips in order to keep your baby's mouth smelling fresh everyday. :)

Read more

since you mentioned smelly i am assuming it is not the sweet baby smell that little ones have. it is possible that your baby may have some mild infection, so it is best to get it tested by a pediatrician, who may also suggest a dentist visit.

no its not normal po especially for baby as young as 6mos, my son also has that but not too smelly because he has lactose intolerance and often have upset stomach. The smell is not coming from his mouth but rather from his stomach. Check with your pedia.

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-19235)

Smell is quite subjective. It may smell bad for you but not for others. I would suggest seeing your ped as if it is really stinky smell like rotting meat then there might be an issue there.

do keep cleaning your baby's gums and tongue regularly. if the smell still persists, please check with the doc and get a dentist visit scheduled.

Best to bring your son to a pedia-dentist to be sure. Para they can also give you advise how to properly clean his mouth and teeth (if he has).