Collect Colostrum

Hi FTM here. I'm at week 35 now and have no idea about colostrum. Anyone know when should I start to collect and how do I store them? Baby should have this for the first time? How do I trigger colostrum? Thanks!

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hello! I hand expressed mine at 37week. 37 weeks your baby is consider full term - safe to unload from you. No baby despite my collecting at 37weeks only come out at 41 weeks. I collected about 10 tubes colostrum and all in 1ml syringe and it was label with my name, the date and time of collection. I bring along to hospital and ask the nurse to give the baby upon delivery. Let down reflux do take some time to kick in. Waaaaa let me try and do this……… Wash your hands first before expressing. Massage your boobies in circular motion from outer to inner, and gently massage the nipple becos that it where it will exit. Use your thumb and index finger, place at the outer circle of your areola, push inward, gently pinch and milk it a few times. You will see the “liquid gold” come out. Quickly use 1ml syringe and collect bit by bit. It is Slightly sticky and will dry ok the nipple if not collected. Try it for about 5-10mins, if there is colostrum there is. If there isn’t just try again later. Can try about 2-3 times a day? Hope this helps you! 💕

Read more
3mo trước

Hope this helps! Jiayou mummy 💕

It’s best to wait after birth or at least till 38/39 weeks as it can trigger labour. Gently use your hand and squeeze, then use syringe to collect. Can just use 5ml syringe. Afterwards store in a seperate bag and label date and time the freeze.

3mo trước

got it. thank you!!