Do mums to be take folic acid only once they find out they're pregnant, or even before they get pregnant?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You should start the moment u find out that you are pregnant. Folic acid reduces the risk for birth defects of a baby's brain and spine -- spina bifida and anencephaly -- by 50% to 70%. Folic acid may also lower the risk of preeclampsia and early labor. You can get 5mg folic acid tablets from any Guardian pharmacy or NTUC Unity pharmacy.

Read more

If you already know that you want to have a baby then you should be taking it before the pregnancy. I only started taking after I missed my period. Self denial mode for a month. Haha. I puked it all out every single time I took it anyway. So I'm not sure how much of it I really absorbed. This was what I took:

Read more
Post reply image

If you are trying to conceive a baby it is good to start to take folic acid. During pregnancy, especially for the 1st three months folic acid is a must to help the development of baby. After 1st trimester, gynae will normally prescibe multi-vitamins which consist of folic acid in it too.

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-329)

Thành viên VIP

Yes, folic acid is recommended to be taken when you are trying to conceive. However, as mine was a surprise, I only started taking folic acid tablets from week 4 onwards. She was born very healthy.

It's advisable to take it when you are trying to conceive but I only knew about it during my first doctor visit.

Thành viên VIP

Good to start taking it when you are trying to get pregnant. I only took folic acid in my first trimester

thanks