Did you and your husband have a "chat" about how to parent and come up with some basic ground rules -- about bedtime routines, how to say no, discipline etc...or did you just play it by ear? I find that my husband and I often have very different perspectives on things like who should our kid have a playdate with, outdoor vs indoor time etc...how did you resolve your differences?

19 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My fiancé and I talk about how we'll raise our future kids all the time because we realise that we were brought up differently due to different cultures and coming from different countries. For example, we had a heated conversation about disciplining a child when he has done something wrong. In Sweden, it is absolutely illegal to physically discipline your child, so no taps on the hands or even threatening to cane. Not that I'm planning to do all that but I told him that I was brought up in a time where caning was an option if I did something really really bad. Another thing that we discussed was academics, coming from Singapore I'd want my childg to be brought up in an academic environment but he doesn't see it that way, kids in Sweden have more freedom in terms of what they want to do, not necessarily academics. He grew up on the countryside and I grew up in the city. I forsee many more conversations like the ones mentioned before especially when we start our family. We have decided that we will take whatever that is good from each others culture and just "go with it". No point arguing over whose methods are better all the time I feel.

Read more