Did you and your husband have a "chat" about how to parent and come up with some basic ground rules -- about bedtime routines, how to say no, discipline etc...or did you just play it by ear? I find that my husband and I often have very different perspectives on things like who should our kid have a playdate with, outdoor vs indoor time etc...how did you resolve your differences?

19 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is good to hear that your husband is very involved in parenting. I agree that sometimes too many opinions will have disputes between the parents. It's very helpful if both of you sit down and discuss together what are the boundaries that both of you can accept for kids. It is good to list out the rules and adhere to it. When my hubby discipline kids in a way that I do not agree with, I will not confrot him directly in front of the children as this shows no respect. I will discuss with him my inputs and how can we further improve our discipline approach in case of similar things happen again. So far this works very well and we have come to agreement most of the time. I think sometimes our husband needs us to listen to them too, communication is very crucial to reach understanding between each other. Also, I will borrow parenting books to read myself, and highlight some important points for him to note as he is quite busy to read through whole book. I printed out point forms and stick to our wall as reminder. If he has any opinion, we will modify and improve the rules on kids in the house, of course with the consent of each of us.

Read more