Baby Won't Sleep Unless She's Carried Or Sleeping On Me

My baby needs to be carried or rocked to sleep or sleep on my body. Once put down she wakes up and not able to continue sleeping. Is this a common newborn thing? She's 6 weeks now. How to train her to continue sleeping when put down.

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mom

My daughter slept on me the first 8 weeks too.😭 I learnt how to pat her to sleep on the rocker/stroller first, then eventually her cot. Swaddle her nicely, turn her on her side, rest your arm across her thigh (so it feels like you’re carrying her), cup your hand and pat firmly (about once/second). Cannot be too weak. Baby learns to calm down and eventually sleep. Keep your hand there for a few more minutes after she sleeps and gradually remove it. You won’t succeed all the time initially, but she will get better with time. Stay in her room with her while you’re still training her. Then.. move on to patting her back to sleep if she wakes up prematurely. Somehow, after doing all this, my LO started to self soothe more. Hope things get better for you soon! It’s been a real struggle for me for 4 months, but things are finally turning around:)

Read more