Is it really a bad habit?

My baby is 1 month old now. She stops whining when I breastfeed her but sometimes my husband tries to pacify her through other ways like giving formula milk, carry and coddle her, etc. but she continues to whine. Sometimes her screams that last around 45mins (with only 5mins max of silence in between) stresses me out because I deal with her for 24hrs unlike my husband who goes to work during office hours. So I tell him to hand her to me so I can breastfeed her to calm her down but my husband sometimes refuses with the reason that he doesn’t want it to be a habit and the only way to pacify her. Is breastfeeding to pacify a crying baby really a bad habit? Is it irrational for me to feel like I’m going crazy to hear my baby whining because I feel useless when my husband refuses to hand her over?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Mum of 2 here as well… agree that nursing every 2-3 hours in the first month is normal - it could be that baby really is still hungry. Try to feed at least 15min per side and keep tickling her if she falls asleep on the breast before reaching 15 min. It’s not a golden number but getting a full feed in reduces the chance that baby is actually hungry and will be ok to be rocked etc instead of being put on the boob. I understand your husband’s pt of view- it is exhausting to become a human pacifier. BUT your baby is only 1mo and it’s not something you need to worry too much yet until her sleep/feeding is more structured.

Read more

Errr no, it's not a bad habit. It's what they need. They're mostof the time hungry plus, it's naturally for their comfort. If you cn bf exclusively, then bf exclusively, dont mix bf and formula milk at d early stage. it's not wrong but best is exclusive bf if cn. Do research on benefits and send to him. Tell him poor baby shes in fear. Everything is still new. Give her time. Meanwhile cn try give pacifier if really need to find alternative.

Read more

Mom of 2 here, pls tell him there is no such thing. Since u breast feeding could be she is still hungry...my kids needed to be fed every 2hrs. Also u can give her pacifier n consider buying a electric swing. That really helped me to calm the baby down n put to sleep. Your health is important if not how u take care of ur girl. Just hang in there, this stage will pass.

Read more

If your baby stops whining when your husband pacify her and he doesn’t let you bf her, then May I ask if your hubby is gg to be the one who pacifiers her when he goes to work since ‘he doesn’t want it to be a habit and that’s the only way to pacify her’? Bf to pacify is a way of comforting your baby. If not just give her pacifier.

Read more

No it’s not.. Moreover it’s a 1 month old, probably needs mummy’s comfort since everything still feels so new… Baby will eventually wean off one day just like pacifiers..

no i dont think so